Lilypie 2nd Birthday PicLilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Monday, October 15, 2007

Miss Me?

I hope so! Sorry for not checking in, but it's been hard to find time to get upstairs to the computer...plus, I'm not allowed to carry the baby up and down stairs. :( But daddy's cuddling with her right now, so I could steal a couple of minutes computer time.

As I'm sure you read on Val's blog, the labor and birth wasn't too much fun. I knew it was going to be bad when right off the bat they had to stick me three times to get the IV going. That was fun...apparently I have "rolling veins." They finally got that going and did the check to confirm I was three centimeters going in.

The contractions started very mildly for a decent amount of time. I had lots of company to keep my mind off of it (thanks Val, Erin, Meg, and family). Then they started to get bad and I asked for the epidural. That was something I was dreading (the whole "needle in the back" thing freaked me out), but it was better than the pain. So the no-more-pain doctor came in and did that. Right away, my blood pressure dropped and he had to rush back in to give me some medication to get it back up. I wasn't feeling too hot after that...apparently the pain relief of the epidural has some side affects for me.

After they gave me the epidural, the contractions started to calm down. Not a good sign. I was at four centimeters at this point with no end in sight. They had the petocin turned up as high as it could go and I still wasn't making much progress. Finally, after being stuck at four centimeters for about eight and a half hours, the doctor said we should go ahead and get her. I agreed and they turned my epidural up. While I was feeling no pain, it also made me totally sick to my stomach and I actually started to throw-up as they were wheeling me to the OR. That was fun...especially as I was trying to cover my mouth with my hand as they were wheeling me past my family (who were all trying to take pictures).

They got me prepped and Ed came into the OR and the next thing you knew, I had a baby. Weird. I was sad that I could see her right away, instead I was busy throwing-up again as they were stitching me up (as I did again when I got to my room and once more the next day). But hearing her cry was one of the best moments of my life (despite the sickness). They wheeled me to the recovery room (where I got a terrible case of the shakes) and I got to watch everyone come in two-at-a-time and meet my baby.

The next couple days weren't fun, but I survived and I have the sweetest baby in the world, so it's all good. :) We came home on Saturday and life has been trying to keep her happy ever since. We had a doctor's appointment today because she has a slight case of jaundice (apparently Ed and I have opposing blood types), but it's getting much better.

I have to go nurse the little piggy now, but I'll try to get back on later with pictures!

6 comments:

nelly said...

so sorry things didn't go 'as planned' =) but so happy that abby is well and that you are starting to get back on your feet again!!! also glad to hear that nursing is going well for you too! can't wait to see some photos, as val only posted one!!

nelly said...

oh and congrats to meg as well!!!

Anonymous said...

Yay, you're home!! I'm hoping to get over there to see you and Abigail this week. It'll be tough since I'm working at Pikesville this week and next. If that's news to you, check my LJ for the lowdown.

I can't wait to see you both!!

Sarah said...

Congratulations on your new bundle of joy. I am happy to hear that you all are doing well and especially you that you are up and about. I understand the pain of the IVs, I had to have a A-line put in cuz the night nurse had problems finding my veins.

I hope that everything is going alright. I can't wait to see more pictures because the ones that Val have she is gorgeous.

Congrats again. I can't wait to meet her.

Anonymous said...

Yay!! You are home! Sorry I didn't get to the hospital to see you, but as you read in my LJ, things got a bit hectic for me. I'm going to try to make it over with Carrie, but I'm sick at the moment, so if she goes over within the next few days, I can't go. Oh, and the flowers taken out of my shopping money...not a problem! Turns out that all that went towards the dentist anyway. No shopping fo' me!

Erin said...

Hey girlie! :) So happy you are home and feeling well enough to blog. (I was waiting for that as a sign you were officially on the mend and getting into the swing of baby life) I'll bring you dinner one day in the next week or two... whenever you are feeling up for it. Thought I'd let you get settled in first. I'll email next week sometime to set something up. :)