The insurance chick called yesterday to officially proclaim the car totaled. She called the house just as Ed was getting ready to walk out the door to pick me up from work. We had to go to the garage to release the car and to see if there was anything else we could get from the inside. Unfortunately, since he was in a hurry, Ed forgot to grab the camera on his way out, so the world will never see what a mess it was. Let me tell ya, it wasn't pretty. The front looked fine, but the back was totally burned out, the tires were melted, the trunk was totally smashed in. Good times. As promised, here's the lame picture of the mess in the street:

Notice the gas-cap towards the top that got blown off. Ed cleaned the glass up yesterday. He said that he found it all the way up to the stairs to our front door. Scary.
They were supposed to call us today to give us a payoff total, but we haven't heard from them. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. We're going to his parents' house on the Eastern Shore on Sunday and the cell phone reception is next to nothing out there. We won't be back until either late Tuesday or early Wednesday. I had wanted to get this taken care of before then, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen. We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. For those who were wondering, when Ed and I refinanced our house a few years ago, we paid off the car with some of the equity, so we will get the check. That will definitely help with a down payment, but I have no idea how we're going to finance the rest for a new car. We'll have to be creative, I guess. It will work itself out.




6 comments:
i am knowing how you feel....today our car broke down. it was the cam belt we found out. £1500 to fix it. of which we have £00.00. we only bought it last august, used for £3,500. so really, its not worth fixing (especially as we can't at the moment) so we are selling it for £500, which we can really use!
be thankful that you have ed's car. as we just have/had the 1 car...sucks, big*time.
Ugh...that does suck. I guess you at least have better public transportation over there then we do here. But being completely carless can't be fun. :(
That's just AWFUL. You seem to be handling it pretty well.
Thanks. We figure that in the grand scheme of things, it's just a car. And kind of a crappy car at that. We're fine, our house is fine...and those are the most important things.
Let me know if you need a ride to/from work for awhile... Vacation is over and I'm free through August (although I'm sure you'll have a car by then)
WOW, do they think that they thing that they are going to catch the kids at all?
I hope that the financing isn't to hard to figure out and something works out.
Post a Comment